WORLD RECORD RECORDING
14% Iceboots is one of the seven in-bounds low% categories that are currently humanly possible. A total of 14 items are picked up during the entire run and focuses on using the Ice Beam and Hi-Jump Boots for level progression.
14% Iceboots is a PAL-only category. The PAL version allows for Hi-Jump Boots to replace Gravity Suit because the player's jump height underwater is slightly higher compared to NTSC, making it possible to escape Draygon's entry chamber without the use of Gravity Suit, Speed Booster (or blue suit/shinespark suit), or X-Ray Scope.
To finish this run, you need to know how to:
- Infinite bomb jump
- Continuous walljump and/or horizontal bomb jump over the moat (explained below)
- Mochtroid clip
- Climb enemies
- Single underwater walljump (to escape Draygon's entry chamber)
- Lava dive without Gravity Suit
- Zebetite skip with Ice Beam only
- Bomb Torizo skip (not required but should be done if capable - it is PAL after all!)
- Morphing Ball
- Charge Beam (for bosses)
- Ice Beam (for Zebetite skip, Mochtroid clip, and enemy climbing)
- Varia Suit (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- Hi-Jump Boots (to traverse Maridia and enter Lower Norfair)
- 3 Energy Tanks (Terminator, Hi-Jump Boots, and Kraid) (to survive MB2's rainbow beam)
- 2 Missile Packs (Awakening and Moat) (to open red doors and defeat MB1)
- 2 Super Missile Packs (Early and Wrecked Ship (Left)) (to open green doors and defeat MB1)
- 1 Power Bomb Pack (Red Brinstar Elevator (Lower)) (to open orange doors)
The reason why the prerequisites includes the option to double bomb jump over the moat is because the continuous walljump has a different, less intuitive setup, and the walljump itself with the setup below is a one frame window, not a two frame window.
To continuous walljump over the moat on PAL, you can use the following setup:
- When inside the moat room itself, stand next to the door, open it, and run through into the previous room
- Hold angle up or angle down when coming out of the transition to cease movement
- Turn around, open the door, and run back in to attempt the continuous walljump like normal
Because PAL runs at 50hz, meaning each frame lasts slightly longer than a frame on NTSC, you could say this would make the continuous walljump a "1.2 frame trick followed by a 1.2 frame trick" on PAL as opposed to a "1 frame trick followed by a 2 frame trick" on NTSC.
Fighting Ridley before Draygon certainly saves time as opposed to Draygon before Ridley; however, players new to this route may opt to fight Draygon before Ridley if Maridia is giving them more trouble, as climbing up the Maridian mountain, Draygon, and escaping Draygon can all be quite difficult for newer players.
If one chooses to fight Draygon before Ridley, it is recommended that Botwoon's Energy Tank be acquired instead of Kraid's Energy Tank. The Terminator and Hi-Jump Boots Energy Tanks should be acquired regardless of which route you take.
If one chooses to fight Ridley before Draygon, the reason for acquiring Kraid's Energy Tank is because you will want as much energy as possible for Lower Norfair, as Lower Norfair with Varia Suit demands as much energy as possible, especially since entering Lower Norfair via lava dive will immediately drain ~160 energy.
It is possible that Ridley's Energy Tank instead of Kraid's Energy Tank would save time with this route, assuming the player could survive the trek to Ridley's farming station being under 150 energy, and survive Ridley with minimal weaponry and a maximum of 299 energy, with Varia Suit.
In the event of severely low health upon entering Lower Norfair, performing a green gate glitch to farm Rippers or to visit the recharge station above Screw Attack can be attempted as a last-ditch effort.